The elevator is coming! The elevator is coming! The “House For All People Campaign” is raising money to build the elevator and new accessible bathrooms! The Capital Campaign committee is committed to raising the funds needed to complete all of the goals which were originally set for this campaign—elevator, handicapped bathrooms, Spiritual Legacy Fund and other capital improvements to make it a House for All People. Won’t you help make this project a reality?
Renovation Project November 2017 Update
It’s very exciting to announce that the long- awaited construction work has begun, thanks to the generosity of our BHT community! We ask for everyone’s patience as we negotiate the following TENTATIVE timetable for completion of our new bathrooms and elevator!
Asbestos has already been removed from the areas that we believe will be impacted by the renovations. Below is the schedule that is subject to change, but it’s thrilling to finally have a construction schedule!!!!
If you read the schedule carefully, you will notice that care has been taken to work on different bathroom sites during different time periods so that we may have some new bathrooms completed prior to demolishing some of the existing bathrooms.
- Now until December 31st– Preliminary site work including concrete drive removal, old fuel oil tank removal, new water main, deep foundations for the elevator, and ramp foundation walls.
- Mid-November through Mid-December-Demolition of basement level bathrooms and work in the basement hallway, 1st floor bathroom only at the center hallway and creation of new bathroom space in the first floor hallway/meeting room area and 2nd floor new bathrooms, which necessitate moving the Rabbi’s study. Absolute Construction Company will strive to give us at least one working bathroom during most of this time.
- Mid-December until Mid-February-Reconstruction and finishing of the above bathrooms.
- Mid-February through mid-March– Demolish 1st and 2nd floor bathrooms which are in the northeast corner of the building where the elevator shaft will be built.
- Mid–March until the end of April-Build the elevator shaft and install elevator.
- Throughout April– Exterior concrete and front lawn restoration.
Also, included in the above process will be patching the existing roof as needed to hold until the entire roof is replaced after the elevator is installed in the spring.
Your Building Accessibility Committee has been hard at work, with the approval of the BHT Leadership Council, negotiating contracts with Absolute Construction Company, and other companies associated with the ongoing work. Our Owner’s Rep, John Mann, past president of Congregation Sinai in Milwaukee, is helping to guide us through this process, and legal counsel is reviewing our contracts.
We appreciate all the support from our BHT community, and we know that everyone will be so very pleased with the end results. Hopefully with patience, hard work, and shared wisdom we will all go through this process together joyfully and gratefully while keeping the end in sight!!!
Submitted by Judith Warren and MaryBeth Mikrut